ClubRoadster.net banner

Broken Dipstick Handle

8K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Zel 
#1 ·
What are you guys doing about the common broken dipstick handle? I haven't attempted to put anything on the nub but i was thinking of replacing it with something. I don't have the broken part so replacing the original eye is not an option.

So if you have pics of your replacement dipstick handle please share.

#5 ·
Years ago, I took a small plastic Snoopy toy and JB-welded it to the stub on my dipstick. That worked for years. Any solid piece of plastic will work the same way. When I swapped in a 99 engine, it came with a new dipstick (the awesome flexy one), and Snoopy got retired.

Old pic.

#8 ·
I have decided to mold something up to attach to my broken dipstick. I'll post pics when complete.

#16 ·
I never liked the yellow handle on the dipstick since it sticks out like a sore thumb and nothing else is yellow in the engine bay. I wanted to do something about it even though it was still in excellentcondition.

IL Motorsport sell an expensive option (approximately 20 British Pounds):

While I was at Supercheap (my local auto store), I spotted a pair of chrome piston-style old-school door lock knobs and thought "They'd look cool as a dipstick knob!" so I bought a pack of 2 (about $15). I cut and filed the dipstick handle as shown in the picture above, stuck a soldering iron down the piston shaft to get it really hot to expand it a bit, then using pliers and a hammer, tapped the dipstick into the shaft so that it's really tight. This left a bit of the yellow plastic rim still visible so I "fixed that" with some Wrinkle-Red paint to match my rocker cover. It looks pretty "schmick" I reckon:

Yes, it does get hot when the engine has been running for some time but I never need to pull it out then anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.